When you’re looking for a trusted orthodontist in or around Toronto, we hope you’ll choose us at City Orthodontics to help give you the smile of your dreams. With our expert team and our commitment to technology, we’re able to provide many different efficient orthodontic treatments so that you’ll always have access to a treatment that’s perfect for you. Two of our most popular treatments are braces and Invisalign, which we’ll be happy to go over and explain the pros and cons for each one.
Traditional metal braces are probably what you think of when orthodontic treatment comes to mind – and for good reason too; this form of orthodontic treatment has been the standard because it provides for an efficient process. Modern metal braces are actually now smaller and more comfortable than ever. Some of the reasons why you’d want to choose braces (or not choose them) include the following:
Pros of Braces
- This is an effective and proven treatment method.
- These braces are made of stainless steel, making them very durable.
- Braces also come in several different types. One such type is ceramic braces, which feature clear brackets that make your orthodontic treatment much more discreet.
- Since the braces are cemented on your teeth, you’ll never have to worry about losing them or not wearing them enough.
- Braces are the optimal choice for more complicated orthodontic problems.
Cons of Braces
- Braces allow for more places in your mouth for food to get trapped and cause tooth decay or gum disease.
- When you wear braces, there are foods you should avoid, specifically foods that are hard and foods that are sticky.
- Brushing and flossing will take longer due to having to brush and floss around the brace’s wires.
- Since braces are made of metal, they may cause discomfort.
Invisalign is a newer form of orthodontic treatment, known as the alternative to braces. What makes this treatment different is that instead of using metal brackets and wires to shift your teeth, Invisalign uses clear, plastic aligners to straighten your teeth. Some of the pros and cons of Invisalign include the following:
Pros of Invisalign
- The aligners are clear, making Invisalign a virtually invisible orthodontic treatment process.
- You can remove the aligners in Invisalign whenever you want, just as long as you wear them for about 22 hours a day.
- Because the aligners are removable, brushing and flossing are just as simple and routine as they’ve always been.
- You can eat whatever you want since you remove the aligners before eating; there’s no worrying about possibly breaking anything.
- The plastic in the aligners allow for a more comfortable orthodontic treatment.
Cons of Invisalign
- The aligners need to be frequently cleaned to prevent food or anything acidic from getting trapped inside your aligners and pressing against your teeth for prolonged periods of time.
- The treatment won’t work unless you wear it for 22 hours a day or however long your orthodontist prescribes you to wear it.
- Invisalign doesn’t always work on more complicated orthodontic problems.